This page was last modified on 20 December 2016, at 14:24.
Database as a service — the cloud-based way of storing and managing structured data. This is one of the most popular technologies in the field of information resources management. The essence of the concept of DBaaS is that the user does not need to establish and maintain a database, it is enough to make the request and receive the database. For its creation uses the resources of the private, public or hybrid cloud.
Some cloud platforms offer service databases, whereby it is possible to do without a virtual machine. The service provider takes responsibility for installing and maintaining the database. As an example, you can call Amazon Web Services. They provide three databases that are included in their cloud service: SimpleDB — NoSQL, where the data is stored in pairs key-value, — Amazon Relational Database Service (and this is a SQL-oriented database MySQL-UI) and DynamoDB.
The user receives information resources, information collected in accordance with the parameters of your request, and can work with it as a database: save, edit, share, merge with other databases, and more.
DBaaS provides a database functionality similar to those that give a relational database management system (RDBMS) such as SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle. On the other hand, as a cloud, DBaaS provides a flexible, scalable platform on request that is directed to self-service and easy management, in particular from the point of view of initialization of a private business environment. DBaaS products typically provide enough monitoring capabilities to track performance and flow and to warn users about possible problems. Products can also produce the simplest analysis of the data.
- Timely processing of requests of any complexity;
- Reducing the cost of creating a database with a standard configuration, or under local tasks (e.g. for testing);
- Optimization of development processes and testing;
- Simple and rapid scaling of resources in the cloud.
- Lack of control of problems with network performance:
- Unacceptable delays
- Crashing apps
- Some DBaaS solutions do not support typical database management system capabilities, e.g., data compression, and table partitioning.
Before you take on DBaaS, you need to soberly assess their requirements and make sure that they will all be acceptable satisfied.
- Automation of the process of creating and obtaining the model database upon user request;
- Organization of accounting of consumption of resources and their payment;
- Automatic deployment and retrieving records on the request of the user;
- Fast creation of new databases based on templates;
- Flexible tool for developers and testers, allowing you to maintain control of their work from the database administrators.
Below is a list of the main suppliers of cloud database model "database as a service", with the separation of SQL and NoSQL: SQL:
- Amazon Relational Database Service (MySQL)
- Microsoft SQL Azure (MS SQL)
- Heroku PostgreSQL as a Service
- Clustrix Database as a Service
- Xeround Cloud Database — MySQL front-end
- EnterpriseDB Postgres Plus Cloud Database
- ClearDB ACID-comliant MySQL
- Amazon DynamoDB
- Amazon SimpleDB
- Cloudant Data Layer (CouchDB)
- Database.com by SalesForce
- Google App Engine Datastore
- MongoDB Database as a Service
- Cloudbase.io Cloud Database
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
- Хабрахабр [Электронный ресурс]: Облачные базы данных: кто их делает и на что они способны / Дата обращения: 31.10.2016. — Режим доступа: https://habrahabr.ru/company/cloudsnn/blog/148483/.
- Microsoft Azure [Электронный ресурс]: База данных SQL — база данных как услуга / Дата обращения: 31.10.2016. — Режим доступа: https://azure.microsoft.com/ru-ru/services/sql-database/.
- Oracle [Электронный ресурс]: База данных как сервис — новый уровень эффективности / Дата обращения: 31.10.2016. — Режим доступа: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ru/dbaas-new-heights-wp-2283145-ru.pdf.