|Developer||Open Source for Lithuania / Mantas Kriaučiūnas|
|Working state||In production / development|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||June 2003|
|Latest release||Baltix Linux 14.04|
|Available in||Multilingual (more than 55)|
|Platforms||ARM, IA-32, x86-64, i386|
|Kernel type||Monolithic Linux kernel|
|Default user interface||GNOME and Unity, in some versions LXDE|
|License||Free software GPL.|
Baltix is an operating system for Lithuanian and Latvian people, based on Debian and Ubuntu. The main language is Lithuanian.
It uses the GNOME desktop environment also Unity user interface is included since 2011 and is distributed as an installable Live CD.
The first public versions of Baltix were released in 2003 and were based on Knoppix Live CD and Debian software packages, and later, on the Morphix Live CD framework. Most recently, Ubuntu technology was chosen for Live CD. Despite of changes in startup and installation technologies, Baltix is always distributed as an installable Live CD with graphical installer. Since 2007 separate Baltix CD/DVD images for home/business use, educational institutions (DVD version for "Science and Education" and servers are being released.
Baltix can run directly from its live-CD, without installation to a computer's permanent storage (hard disk, solid state drive, etc.), but also can be installed into a computer's Linux or Windows partitions.
It is comfortable for computer manufacturers (Baltix 1.x, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014) have a noninteractive automatic installation (autoinstall) feature - OS can be installed into computer in about 10 minutes without user intervention.
Baltix has software packages not included in default Ubuntu:
- Educational software for kids and adults, including GCompris, TuxPaint, Atomix etc.
- Parental Control and Content Filtering software GNOME Nanny, Dansguardian-GUI
- Possibility to run software, compiled for Windows OS
- Vector graphic, CAD and diagram drawing software, including Inkscape]], QCAD and Dia
- Multimedia software - VLC, Cheese, Pitivi and additional video+audio codecs
- Internet telephony (VOIP) software, compatible with Google Talk - Empathy
- Lightweight Desktop Environment - GNOME-Classic and LXDE
- Lots of other packages, which are useful for Lithuanians and other Baltic people
- Easy and right away ready for majority of Lithuanian, Latvian and Russian home/office users (no need to install additionally software for multimedia support or office work, e.g. spelling dictionaries or templates)
- Ability to run software, compiled for Windows OS
- Possibility to work comfortable on older computers (starting from 128MB RAM and 700Mhz CPU), little resources consuming desktop environment is included (currently LXDE)
- Comfortable for computer manufacturers (Baltix 1.x, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014) have a noninteractive automatic installation (autoinstall) feature - OS can be installed into computer in about 10 minutes without user intervention.