This page was last modified on 22 June 2016, at 15:53.
Kexi is an open source visual database applications creator, a long-awaited competitor for programs like MS Access or Filemaker.
Kexi is a visual database applications creator. It can be used for creating database schemas, inserting data, performing queries, and processing data. Forms can be created to provide a custom interface to your data. All database objects - tables, queries and forms - are stored in the database, making it easy to share data and design.
Kexi is considered as a long awaited Open Source competitor for Microsoft Access, FileMaker and Oracle Forms. Its development is motivated by the lack of Rapid Application Development RAD) tools for database systems that are sufficiently powerful, inexpensive, open standards driven and portable across many operating systems and hardware platforms.
Kexi is Free/Libre/Open-Source Software. As a real member of the KDE and Calligra Suite projects, Kexi integrates fluently into both. It is designed to be fully usable also without KDE on Linux/Unix, Mac OS X (with Fink) and MS Windows platforms.
Supported Database Engines
- SQLite - file based (version 3.2 or newer) - the default built-in database format allowing to store all the data and design in a single file that can be easily e-mailed or published in the Internet; requires no maintenance and installation.
- MySQL servers.
- PostgreSQL servers.
Kexi uses the KDE and KOffice features for better user's experience. You can run it on most other destops (e.g. GNOME or XFCE) as well - Kexi will just use KDE's facilities in the background. While the application is available on many operating systems, it does not contain Java or .NET code (only C++) and it is optimized for speed and ease of use.
- Full visual designers for tables, queries and forms. Queries can be also designed in dedicated SQL view.
- Running queries, support for parametrized queries.
- Data entry and sorting.
- Support for "Object" data allowing to store images of many types.
- Designing and displaying relational data using combo boxes (lookup columns).
- Advanced CSV data import and export from files. Copying to clipboard and pasting from clipboard is also available, thus the data can be easily transferred to applications like spreadsheets or word processors.
- User Mode, allowing to switch off all commands related to editing project's design (since 1.1.2)
- "Find" window for searching thought table and form's contents with rich set of options (since 1.1.3)
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />